Here we go.

11 August 2008

Memphis, 9-10 Aug 2008

We roll into town a little after noon & go straight to Payne's BBQ. The building is aesthetically pleasing, totally from another time.



They don't take debit cards, so ATM runs to an ATM to get ca$h. I stick around to take photos & study their simple menu.

We both ordered the chopped plate - a decent heap of chopped pork w/ sauce & bun, beans & slaw. We grabbed an apple & a peach fried pie, too -  might as well order a spread at this institution.  

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed.  The food wasn't terrible, I just prefer a different style of BBQ than what Payne's offers.  The chopped pork was gristly & dry.  The sauce didn't do much to save it.  The slaw was yellow from Mrs. Payne's heavy hand with mustard and vinegar.  Not really my cup of tea.  The beans, the beans were spectacular.  As were the fried pies.  ATM says we should go back to try the ribs to make a fair assessment.  I dunno.  I'm beginning to believe that the best BBQ (ribs & pulled pork) comes from LITTLE ROCK - Whole Hog Cafe.

After gutbusting, we go to our hotel, the laughable, but affordable GEN X INN.  It's really called that!  


We turn on our crappy plasma t.v. tuning in to the Olympics and nap for a couple of hours.  Really.  

We force ourselves up and run over to the nearby Asian grocery in hopes of finding fried tofu w/ onions in it to take back home - BUST.  We go on to Last Chance Records.  It's a cool place.  The looks, the smell of that building took me back to the Day Yutes era.  We were both feeling sluggish, so we didn't stay long, but we did score some vinyl.

We were in desperate need of magic juice, so we make our way over to Otherlands coffee haus.  On the way, though, I see House of Mews, a thing of beauty.  Cats everywhere, in every nook & cranny, napping, being cute & stankin'.  It was torture as I wanted to BE IN THERE.  Don't tell anybody, but anytime we were near Cooper-Young, we totally went to see those frooks.  Like four times.  

There are cats everywhere, this photo does no justice.

Woe is me kitty.

Cats EVERYWHERE, no exaggeration.  Some were caged, probably because they're bad.

You may have to sleep with one eye open around here.

Someone put money in the mail slot. Let me tell you, I know from experience, cats will shred money.


Recharged by Otherlands, we go on to Goner Records where we both score big.  

We decided that next time we travel and we are able to, we're going to bring the portable record player w/ us.  

We go back to the hotel to try to watch Olympics & try to work up an appetite.  For supper, we decided to go to Abyssinia, an Ethiopian cuisine restaurant.  


The food is sublime!  I liked the food better here than the restaurant in Seattle, but I'm still new to the Ethiopian cuisine game.  Me & ATM, we weren't really hungry, but we wanted to eat there that bad.  We shared an entree, which we really ought to do more often.  Heed my words, SHARE YOUR ENTREE.  Your poor belly & wallet will thank you.  This restaurant is highly recommended should you find yourself in the land of BBQ.

We go back to the hotel to let our food settle before we go to Young Deli for a nightcap.

A scotch, a pale ale & a couple of vodka tonics later, we go back to the hotel to bellyache.  Really!  We did not feel good.  It makes me feel ill now thinking of the assortment of foods we ate and how they did not go together.  Guh.  

The following morning was a typical lazy Sunday.  We drank coffee, looked at the paper, watched the telly & lounged around.  We wanted to make a point of relaxing, just the two of us.  A couple of hours of that & we go to the Brooks Art Museum to look at the Warhol exhibit, which was fine.  The exhibits are of his screen printing jobs and they are quality.  He did screen printing to make a fast dollar, they were relatively easy to reproduce and his works were out there & everywhere.  He definitely knew how to market himself.  We didn't dedicate our all to the Brooks Museum because we actually got hungry.  We speed over to our ol' standby, Memphis Pizza Cafe, and get the largest cheese pizza they've got.  So good!  We go every time we're in town!  Completely satisfied, we decide to make one last stop.  There is a used bookstore right across House of Mews.  We take a quick look, but leave emptyhanded.  I'll leave it to readers to decide if it was just an excuse to see those adorable kitties one more time before leaving town.

We came home to rain!  And news of the departure of Black Moses.  Damn.  Damn.  RIP

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We turn on our crappy plasma t.v. tuning in to the Olympics and nap for a couple of hours. Really."

GENN OLD MOTEL!

AMD & KMHD said...

My boss says I'm already old. I think it's because I confessed that I like to watch Last of the Summer Wine on PBS.

Anonymous said...

I concur on the yellow coleslaw. I don't even know where to begin with the House of Mews. You should have snapped a photo of the owner.

AMD & KMHD said...

Man, talk about bad timing. It was Saturday when we first saw the House of Mews and they were already closed for the day. And they're closed on Sun. & Mon. No human in sight. When we looked in the front door, there was a kitty sitting at the register desk, it was so cute. "I can hap you."

ATM said...

i've always wondered what the difference is between inn, hotel and motel. the gen x inn hotel, some kind of hybrid apparently, confuses me further.

Blog Archive